Date: Saturday, September 14th, 2013
Time: 8:30 a.m.
Location: Richelieu Park, Vanier
The Ottawa Sustainability Tour is a self-guided tour that you can take by car, bicycle or bus in order to visit 10 sites in Ottawa that demonstrate a successful story in materializing green initiatives. Each of the ten sites featured in the tour is an excellent example of sustainability within the following themes: transportation, energy, design, habitat, food, natural capital, waste, health, recreation, and a sense of place.
Join the tour on the launch day!
The opening launch begins at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday 14, September with free pancakes at North America’s only urban maple sugar shack in Richelieu Park, Vanier. After the 9:00 a.m. opening ceremony with Mayor Jim Watson and Councillor Mathieu Fleury, groups of cyclists, cars and perhaps a bus will depart on their adventure. Five other sites along the route will also hold events that day:
- Corktown Footbridge: a choir and information on sustainable transportation (AM)
- University of Ottawa: Première Moisson coupons for early arrivals, site explanations (AM)
- Fletcher Wildlife Garden: Volunteer experts to answer your questions about habitats (PM)
- Algonquin Centre for Construction Excellence: Interpretation of building features (PM)
- terra20 – meeting with product experts, short waste reduction talks, light refreshments (PM)
The tour launch will also be the launch of two other Ottawa initiatives:
- Gemagram: a cloud-based app that will carry the tour book (bring your smart phone)
- Ottawa Learnery: talks that are rich in ideas, delivered with passion
A booklet of the tour is available on Ottawa Biosphere Eco-City’s website www.obec-evbo.ca/ which allows you to choose which sites you are interested in seeing at a time that is convenient for you! The booklet is available in French and English. And once you have visited the tour you can give your feedback in a questionnaire that is available here: www.obec-evbo.ca/